Monday 29 December 2008

the old wedding band

a simple band of gold
no diamond to be found
a simple lovers token
made with simple round
when in the light it shines
when in the dark it fades
but within it lies a promise
that one sweet lover made
a promise to be faithfull
a promise to be true
this simple band was given
from my one
my only
you
upon my ageing finger
with it's wrinkles
with it's scars
it still shines true with memories
that all alone were ours
though now it's surface scuffed
the engraving all but worn
still it shows that promise
of a true love that was sworn
many years ago
when we were still so young
when we were happy bright and gay
with songs still to be sung
when you were strong and tall dear
before you faded fast
when i could still caress you
and hear your muffled laugh
so many years this ring has seen
a fair few less than i
but many more than you had seen
and lived here by my side
for i lost you long ago love
so many years gone by
but each day i still think of you
when we were you and i

i wander on the future
now our time has passed
certain only of one thing
that my sweet and simple ring
will stay upon my finger till the last

No comments: